Monday, March 14, 2011

Long Term Hiatus


This photo best captures the essence of my boys, so I leave you with this.

As some of you may know, my husband and I are empty nesters. Both of our children have long left the family domicile, married and moved on with their lives. We yelled- Freeeeedom.... No more kids or pets and proceeded to spend a summer touring our lovely State on the back of a cruiser. That summer was among the finest. Warm, free of responsibility, and all the sweeter for it. Then we promptly turned around bought a heard of cats. To be followed by our grey beastie and the freckled wubba. Our wild abandon came to a screeching halt and while we occasionally mourn its demise, we are all the better for it. The boys rule the roost as well as our hearts.


They say if you live long enough, all things come back around. Low rise jeans, skinny jeans, high waisted jeans, I've worn them all long before they were a staple of Old Navy. A different name and a different time, but all the same. Same with food. Those cool retro McDonald's? I've eaten at them and they weren't new. Those high end fondue restaurants? We huddled around a Sterno flame dipping bread in burning cheese long before it became a Friday night favorite. However, I don't recall dipping strawberries in chocolate so that is a win all the way around in my book. So, in some ways it should have come as no surprise when my young, adult child asked to move home. It did surprise me though, and I am still striving to wrap my head around just what this means in reference to our day to day life.

What it does mean is my life is no longer be my own. I will shed the hat of empty nester to don the one of mother, once again. It has been awhile, and I am a bit rusty. I quit laying awake at night waiting for our children to arrive safely home. I no longer buy those frozen (horrendous) burritos my son lived on for many a year till he turned vegan. I quit replacing my clothes my daughter would "borrow" never to be seen again. When on rare occurrence an article would reappear it was inevitably ruined. We have all grown and moved on with our lives, so some things will change and some will remain the same as we expand our nest once again. The guest bedroom will once again house its former occupant, the closet filled with craft supplies will be emptied to accommodate the trappings of a young person. The expensive comforter will be folded and stored for guest use. Other things will change as well. My time will no longer be my own, and my computer will be getting a college education, not to mention a bit of culture shock at the new and interesting web sites it is sure to peruse.

This is my rather long and rambled way of saying, I will be off the grid indefinitely. My time and circumstances not being what they once were do not allow for the leisurely way in which I spent my free time. Grey Dog is officially on long term hiatus.

Life ebbs and flows. Where it takes us, is not often predictable, nor the destination ascertainable. Yet, it is still my belief that you should enjoy the journey. So from photo-blogger to mom, once again, we shall go.

xoxoxoxo- A,Taren, and KK